November 19, 2008

Congratulations to Karin & Ryu!


Amidst all of the craziness that has been my life over the past year, I've had a few really wonderful events to look forward to. Coming back to America, though unplanned, was nice. Eric and Katharine's wedding was a fabulously joyous event, and just this past weekend I celebrated the wedding of two more very wonderful, very dear people: Karin and Ryu. They had the kind of wedding I hope to have. It wasn't a crazy, aspirational wedding with doves and ice sculptures. Oscar de la Renta didn't design her gown (though I'm sure Karin might have liked that). And it wasn't held in some nineteenth-century mansion.

What made it so perfect was that everything was "them". It was held on a farm in Florida (where she's from); they chose every single song on the playlist at the reception; they did a cute little first dance; there was a bag pipe player during the ceremony (who doesn't remember the bag pipes at Convocation?), and they seemed genuinely happy. They even found ways to incorporate each of their faiths and backgrounds into the ceremony (their children will be Colombian/Japanese/Eastern-European/Jewish/Catholic). Also, they made the wedding party take pictures in front of the (very plush, very fancy) port-a-potty trailer. Personally, I enjoyed that part. Please don't knock the fancy port-a-potty trailer - there are mints inside. The cutest part was when Karin's parents took the stage and sang a little song they had written for the happy couple. I hope someone puts video of that on YouTube! And Ryu's dad already started putting on the pressure for grandkids during his toast!

Congratulations to Karin and Ryu!

3 comments:

karin said...

Thank you for your lovely recap! It's so nice reading another perspective on the day (and that it was positive!) It was super special having so many friends and family in one place.

Btw, I love that picture of us (one of my faves)! My mom and the videographer are working on putting together a clip of the song. Seriously.

kates said...

I also loved Karin and Ryu's wedding! Anjuli, your recap is right on. My fave part by far was her mom and dad singing--so cute! Incidentally, I navigated to your blog, Anj, because I'm looking for those wedding pictures that Karin and Ryu had posted online. Do you know where they are?

I also just thought I'd throw in my two cents about those love those old-fashioned-esque weddings in the 19th-century mansions. To some people, those kinds of weddings aren't just "aspirational"; in fact, they feel unique; they feel very "them." Especially when you live out in CA and miss, well, stuff that seems OLD. In those cases, a 19th-c mansion feels just right.

Anjuli said...

Katy, you're so hilarious. There are plenty of nineteenth-century mansions in California! And they're just as authentic as anything on the East Coast; they just happen to be Spanish. You can take a tour at some in Los Angeles.

My point about "aspirational" weddings is that they very often don't feel like they represent the couple as they exist in the moment. Karin and Ryu managed to do exactly that and more! And besides, this post was more in praise of them, rather than to put anyone down.

And it looks like Karin answered your question about the pictures in our group email. They're tons of fun to look through!