January 30, 2008

An Easy Guide to Communal Eating

Double-dipping is a classic faux-pas that I engage in every single day. It's not that I'm rude, or don't care about spreading germs. It's that I eat with my hands from communal dishes. I can count on one hand the number of times I've used an actual utensil in the last two months. Even at restaurants, I prefer to tear off a piece of bread and use it to scoop up vegetables and meat. (Lentils were quite challenging at first but now I have the hang of it. The trick is to smoosh them a bit in the bowl.)

Anyway, I highly recommend giving up utensils and individual plates. It makes for less clean-up and more of a shared experience. Just remember to eat only what's in front of you and don't stray into your dining companions' eating territories. It helps if you imagine a pie chart, and one of the triangles as your "area." Eat the vegetables first and don't touch the meat until your host divides it amongst his guests. (Yes, it's almost always a "him" who divides the meat.) If you're eating cous-cous it is appropriate to pour your sour milk directly into the communal dish and use a spoon. Make sure to tell other people that they aren't eating enough, even as they stuff their faces.

No comments: